Sunday 10 August 2014

Going back to the basics (Android)

As I mentioned in my previous post, I decided to revert back to my nandroid backup. I think my battery actually does work longer without CM 10.2. Also no reboots, though some apps don't like to be restored from a backup. I also for now switched to Nova Launcher, still not sure whether I prefer Apex or Nova.

Here's what I was wondering about android 4.1.2 vs CM 10.2 with android 4.3.x
  1. Taking screenshot natively by pressing power+home (I had an app for that in 4.1.2 but I'm not sure if I still could've done that without the app)
  2. Lock screen button actions (not REALLY needed, also doesn't work in the WidgetLocker screen) 
  3. Quick unlock ("Unlock automatically when the correct PIN/password is entered")
  4. Expanded desktop (hides status bar from desktop, but Apex Launcher does that too)
  5. Quiet hours (Llama can do that)
  6. Set allowed screen rotation (e.g. 0 & 270 degrees only)
  7. Blacklist for calls (maybe I could import a blacklist from somewhere)
Here's what I've figured out so far:

  1. I can take screenshots natively just like that, and with Xposed Framework I was also able to add screenshot to the power menu (GravityBox).
  2. I don't really know as I didn't really care about anything other than being able to use the flashlight/torch easily without opening my phone. Which I can do with the Xposed module Xposed Torch, which adds Torch to long press hard buttons. Also GravityBox enables it, but I'd rather use the hard buttons than soft buttons for that.
  3. This I haven't really found a good solution to yet, I don't want to try something that doesn't work 100 %. But I keep reading that it doesn't work in Android 4.1.2, or maybe it does but it's a bit risky to try.
  4. Pretty much any launcher does it so it doesn't really matter. I tried to set the statusbar background transparent in GravityBox (I keep typing GloryBox, argh!) which works, but I can't adjust some of the colors to not be grey, so I'm just hiding it. 
  5. As I said, Llama (or Tasker) can easily do it. Also Xblast Tools has the module, but I preferred GravityBox and you know, Llama or Tasker. 
  6. Haven't found this one yet unfortunately, it was good for not allowing the screen rotate too much when reading in bed, as I only use the phone either in normal portrait or rotated 90 degrees clockwise (which was 270 degrees in CM 10.2 options). 
  7. Blacklist IS there in native 4.1.2 too, just really hard to access. I ínstalled Xposed Call Blocker that allows wildcards and apparently is battery friendly etc, but I'm still looking for something I can import a list of numbers to. 
What was really cool about GravityBox was that it allowed me to hide Tasker & Llama notifications. They require on-going notifications, and it was really annoying to have them waste space in the list and not seeing new notifications in the list properly because Tasker & Llama were always first.

No comments:

Post a Comment